Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isolated subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrosley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2006
US
I am looking to put in a lab/classroom network on our network as a isolated subnet. Any ideas on how I can best accomplish this. I will only want access from the lab/classroom to the internet no access to the rest of our networks.

Thanks,
sc

The easiest way is to install a cheap router like a Linksys, Netgear, etc.

The WAN port connects to the existing network.
the LAN side is for your test lab.

Note that the WAN and LAN subnets must be different.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks dearingkr, they will be on seperate subnets. I had them on a different t1 but we shut that one down do to overhead. I may have a port open on a cisco router I am checking the site tommorow. If I end up going with a cisco router that I may have a open port on I am wondering what I should do with the access list for such a network? will get some additional info tommorow like I said anything I should keep my eyes open for that you would recommend?

Thanks again,

sc

If it's sharing a connection through the same router as your other traffic, I would suggest creating a new VLAN for the lab and then adding an access list to your router preventing traffic from your Lab VLAN from reaching other VLANs. You can even assign the lab to use your ISPs DNS servers if you wish to completely segregrate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back