Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iso files and creating a CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

followthebits

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
Newbe here trying to figure out Linux.

I downloaded the Redhat 7.2 .iso files.
I downloaded the boot.img file and the rawrite program and created a linux boot floppy. Got the spanish version by mistake but it still works.

I took the .iso files, double clicked on them and started up Roxio CDCreator 5.0. It burns the cdrom succesfully.
I can't see anything on the cdrom from windows but figure that is because it is Linux file system.

I boot computer with floppy and it boots fine. I answer the questions to the point where I tell it to look on the CDROM for Linux and it says it's not there.

I try reburning cdrom with iso images 4 times. No change. It can't see Linux on the CDROM. I see the CDROM being accessed.

I try it in a newer Dell computer (2001) thinking that there is something about the cdrom on the older (1999) Dell. No difference.

Any help. All the manuals I've seen just glance over this section basically saying burn your cdrom with whatever and then boot your computer and you'll be installing Linux. Well I can't get it to see the Linux Cdroms.

Should I be able to see files on the cdrom after I burn the .iso files?
Confused
followthebits

something is wrong with the iso files or burning. because you should see them under windows, dos, etc. try to use md5sum, to check, whether the downloaded iso images are OK. if yes , try to use cdrecord (command line burning prog) or some windows cd burning soft.
bubak

Thanks
I downloaded md5sum to my computer and checked the enigma file and found that it doesn't match the md5sum file included with the downloads. I used ftp to 'get' these files. Is it possible that I did something wrong in downloading them?
follothebits

I'm redownloading but this time I set the mode to binary. I think that may have been the problem.
followthebits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back