Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iSNS control of target discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertieuk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2004
Hi

We used an equallogic iSCSI SAN. I have setup Microsoft iSNS for target registration/discovery.

We use the MS iSCSI initiator. This seems to have two methods of target discovery. The first is "target portals" and the second iSNS.

iSNS is working. The problem I have.....I want to completely restrict what clients can see what targets. iSNS has this ability by using Discovery Domains/Discovery Domain Sets but a customer server could simply add the SAN portal address and now see all created volumes.

We do use authentication on all volumes but we dont want browsing and attach attempts to unauthorised volumes.

Is there a way to control this using the MS Initiator? Can discovery using target portals be disabled?.

Thanks

Si

I don't know the answer to your question but I am interested in your thoughts on the equallogic. I am considering using one with a few nas heads for 10 TB of CIFS data. Can you offer any opinions for this platform.

Thanks,

We use a PS200. I rate it for the simplicity of use.

Our equallogic use includes booting from SAN for windows servers. We can deploy a new OS in 10 Minutes (automated with Sysprep)

We are looking into booting Linux SAN volumes as well.

We replicate volumes between sites
We snapshot volumes.

Testing for Trojans/Viruses can be performed on offline snapshots very easily.

Backup from snapshots.

Expanding volumes becomes very simple.

Creating development systems from operational snapshots are very simple.

We currently have a dedicated SAN network. This network is running at Gigabit speed.

Hope this helps

Creating NAS Headers to share backup storage is very straight forward. Expanding these volumes would be very straight forward.

Si

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back