Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISL TRUNKING/BANDWIDTH UTILIZATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kekoa

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
Can someone explain how ISL trunking utilizes bandwidth? For example, if I'm only trunking 2 vlans, will ISL trunking give out equal amounts of bandwidth to each vlan? Or does it operate as a first come first serve type basis? Can I allocate, let say, 75% of the trunk for VLAN 1 and the other 25% of the trunk for VLAN 2?

Thanks for your help.....

Kekoa

(any documentation would be a great help too!)

ISL doesn't concern itself with bandwidth as it's purely the encapsulation type you're using for the trunk.
If you want to allocate bandwidths to trunk links, then I would suggest you look into using rate-limit or police commands. In this way you can specify limitations to VLANs.

It might be an idea to setup sub-interfaces on which you can apply this feature though.

You could do worse than start at the following link for information regarding rate limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back