Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iSeries Data Dictionary instead of DDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
We currently create a Field Reference in each library created and all tables developed in that library use the FLDREF file to compile the tables. We are trying to move away from RPG programs and don't need to use the DDS to create tables however we would still like to have the control and consistency that the DDS FLDREF files provide.

I have been looking in the iSeries Navigator for information on how to create a Data Dictionary instead. Is there a way to convert the existing DDS FLDREF files to the new data dictionary? If not, is there a way to create a data dictionary in an existing schema and how would I do that?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Leslie

I am curious, how do you create the PF, if you do not do it thru a DDS defination??

I use SQL statements. Either in the Navigator or another in house tool that's like a query analyzer.

Code:
CREATE TABLE JMLIB.JMPSTATUS ( 
	STCODE CHAR(2) CCSID 37 NOT NULL DEFAULT '' , 
	STDESC CHAR(30) CCSID 37 NOT NULL DEFAULT '' ,
	DSPORD DECIMAL(2, 0) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 , 
	PRIMARY KEY( STCODE ) ) ;

As long as the table isn't used by an RPG program it can be created in this manner.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for database developers:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back