Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iSeries backup capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Not sure where I should of posted this, but this seemed to be the closest.. 8)

We've got an IBM as400 server in house here and right now it does it's nightly backups to tape. We're wondering if we can make those backups go through the network to our new storage servers..

anyone ever done this?

Sorry for th newb question, but i'm 99.9% newb when it comes to as400.

If you are running the tradational "backup",, then I believe it wants to go an external device. Now what I have seen, is going thru the scheduler,,, copying all the objects to be saved to a "save file", and then that file being saved at a later date. Can you hit the storage server from the Iseries??

Oh yeah, by hitting it i'm guessing you mean ping or browse or whatever...yeah, it's on the same LAN. It can ping and then some.

I'll look into that scheduler. Thanks for the advice!

I think jmd means like ftp. If you can ftp to the storage server, you could just write a cl to create the savf and ftp it out. Granted, you'll need enough dasd to cover the savf.

Mark

SELECT * FROM management WHERE clue > 1
> 0 rows returned

--ThinkGeek T-Shrit

Well, ftp to a server which has storage on the SAN server is one way, but what would be even nicer is if the iSeries can use storage from the SAN server directly (with IBM ESS or DS8000 series you can I believe). That way you can backup to a savefile which is already on the SAN server.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back