Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA server blocking Ping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveAND

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
using ISA 2k and and XP computer.

i have installed the firewall client on the XP PC and cant get out on anything but HTTP

I have replaced the msplat.txt & MSPCLNT.INI files with others i have and i can now ftp and do all the things i want.. but i cant ping, tracert or use active FTP (only passsive)

is there anyway of making my XP PC bypass the ISA server or making the ISA server use active FTP connections?

Hi DaveAND

I believe that the client must be a Secure NAT. On the XP machine's Network Settings add the ISA servers internal IP address in the gateway box, this will allow it to ping externally

I hope this helps

Paul Rewston

Good morning, DaveAND!

The Rewster is correct. Any client traversing ISA will either have to be a SecureNAT client. Otherwise, there's no escaping the ISA-hole (black-hole...get it). Anyway, once you set all of the SecureNAT client's gateway IPs to match the internal IP of your ISA box, you're on your way assuming that the protocol defs for ICMP and the protocol rules for ICMP have been defined and are activated.

Be blessed!

Technology is a lot like love. You can shape it and develop it; but it's useless until you share it. Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back