Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA Server and Outlook Mail (external mail-server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdMcG

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2003
GB
I'm pretty sure it's just something stupid that I've managed to do. Things were working fine until I decided to move my ISA server off the PDC and onto a new box...

My Setup:
- Win2k AS PDC ['PDC']
- ISA Server (sp'd and patched) running on Win2kAS, Sp4 ['Backup']
- Clients connect via gateway configuaration.

DNS settings [on 'Backup'/ISA Server]- well it *was* a forwarder, then AD decided no.

IP Addys: RFC1918 Class A
Servers in 10.10.0.x
ISA Server External Interface: Public, assigned by ISP's DHCP
Clients: 10.10.10.x - assigned by DHCP

DNS settings (on 'Backup'/ISA Server):
PDC
Backup
ISP #1
ISP #2

But Public IP Addy given by ISP, dynamically (rarely changes), along with ISP (DNS) #1 (194.168.4.100) and #2 (194.168.8.100)

Situation:
Clients can successfully access Web, MSN, FTP and Hotmail E-Mail via OutLook Express.

OutLook (proper) doesn't want to download messages (nor OE) from external mail servers : Erroring 'reported error

(0x800CCC0D) 'Unable to find the e-mail server. Please verify the server information in your account properties'

Also, I can't access my ISP's FTP servers - I get read-only errors

Attempts:
- The ISA Server itself can access (well ping) to the pop and smtp servers. Clients can ping them.
- I've tried changing the socks port from 1080 to 8080 (which is what ISA's using) - but no luck there. It's now back at 1080.
- I did have this problem previously - before I changed servers (having uninstalled it off the PDC) - but can't
remember resolution: I think it involved the #1 no-no of using the ISP dns addys on the clients.
- The same errors occur when I use the Firewall client

I would like to be able to use OutLook for E-Mail and also FTP.

Any ideas from anyone? Please?

Oops, going over that message I notice that the old NT4 habits die hard...

Anyhow, I now consider this matter resolved.

After some faffing about with the ISA Setup, including re-defining my protocol access rules and adding a few other protocols (Kazaa settings, MSN [the downloaded one from isatools.org - msnim.vbs]) I seem to have got things working.

I think it helped that I demoted the 'backup' DC to a Stand-Alone server (well I totally removed it, and re-installed).

I still have the FTP access problem on a couple of external sites: not my internal FTP servers, so I think that's probably a DNS/External error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back