Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA on a PPOE Network Possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze38

Technical User
Dec 29, 2003
US
I have a dsl provider and to use my machine as a router Im never really configuring the WAN card its a virtual software connection Can I make this work as a router and get ISA going on my network??

Again its virtual because of the PPOE configuration
any help is appreciated

i had this setup before, but it became a pain to maintain. used must run your you pppoE dialer and make sure your are connected(virtual connection is active and has an ip). Then install isa and configure everthing. It will work fine until you pppoE connection get disconected or if you reboot.

If the connection is disconnnect. you will have to reconnect and then restart the isa services.

If you reboot, the isa services will start without your connection being active. You will have to stop the services, running the dsl dialer, Make sure you get an ip from your isp, and then restart the is services.

Nick

Hi,

I have this solution running for years now. It works with our local provider "Deutsche Telekom" and T-DSL. T-DSL-Driver Software has to be installed.
The connection has to be configured as a dial-up connection like ISDN, then the connection is dialed automaticaly if a connection is made to the outside world.
If you recieve dynamic IP-Adresses from your ISP and rules running with your ISA (e.g. WebPublishing) you need a script to update the rules IP-Adresses. I can give you an example if required.

Ralf

I have several DLS PPPOE lines (from diferent providers) but ussing DSL-ROUTERS not MODEMS. You can buy a router (3Com Office Connect, Draytek or something similar) for less than € 200.

Buy a router, create a subnet in a private range between your ISA and the DSL-Router and exclude this range on the LAT.

I think is not a "expensive solution".

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back