Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA, IIS, and Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainmast

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
Monday I'll be installing and deploying Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA) 2000, Exchange Server 2000, Internet Information Services 6 (IIS), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Anti-Spam SMPT Proxy (ASSP), Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and more for the first time. I played around on a test server I have here, but there is no doubt that I'll have questions. So, I'll post them in this thread or less a moderator can point me towards a better forum to place this in?

Here is background information as far as the drives go:
RAID 1: Two 18 Gig 10k RPM SCSI drives (OS and programs)
RAID 5: Four 36 Gig 10k RPM SCSI drives (data)

The server is named mailserve on the MCKEELACADEMY domain.

The first question I have is: before I install ISA Server 2000 I have to use the same installation CD to Initialize the Enterprise to allow the server to be a member in an array. This basically modifies over 300 objects in the Active Directory schema. So, obviously I have to have AD installed, but I have a backup of the Active Directory in system state.

Should I restore that backup before I run the initialization wizard? Or should I restore the backup after I've had the enterprise initialized? Would I even have to start the Enterprise if I restore the AD backup, being that it would already have the schema changes from the previous installation of ISA? Would it hurt if I restored the AD and ran the initialization wizard anyways, to make sure that the schema objects are correct?

We have another server that has an ISA installation on it. I don't believe it is disabled, but we don't use it. If I don't disable it, should I have to do anything special as far as the installation or configuration of the ISA installation on this server goes? If I do disable it?

ISA listens for requests through ports 80 and 8080. These are the default ports of the IIS server. We did use those ports for ISA (at least, the client's browsers were configured to have the internal IP of this server as its proxy server and to use port 8080) in the past. During the installation, the setup wizard stops all IIS services and web sites. How am I supposed to publish the IIS websites now, without having to change its ports? For example, we could access the default web site from anywhere in the world using the URL: Would this be a matter of creating a web publishing rule in ISA to take requests both externally and internally to and point them towards say, I'd have to change the port in IIS for the default web site to be 8888, but would the URL change to be
OK, that was a bit more then one question. I have read the entire ISA documentation as far as preparing and installing it, and even wrote a document that basically customizes and condenses the ISA guide to fit our specific needs and the server.

Thanks in advance!

For the web publishing you need to change the default port in the iis if you want to publish with isa in the same server the url not change at all.
you only need to configure isa to linsten 80 port and dns to point to the isa external ip when the client put de url.
then create a publishing rule on the isa server.

by the way i recommend you to think in upgrade isa server to 2004 version.

coco10

It also sounds like you are trying to put an awfull lot on one server. Generally, I prefer to have ISA running on it's own server and Exchange running on it's own server. With ISA I think being more isolated is a really good thing for security. Exchange can really create a workload on a server.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back