Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA 2004 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomartinpe

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2006
Hello.
I setting a new SBS2003 server, it includes ISA2004. My server has one Nic adapter, OWA works but need to put ISA for security. Does ISA works fine with one NIC card? If its necesary to add a second Nic, it will necesary make changes for OWA works?
In the other hand, Remote Access will work fine with ISA2004 running? I dont know how will be the response of server... Any comments are welcome.
Thanks

If you add another NIC, all you will need to do is rerun the SBS Internet setup wizards and things will be configured with the two-NIC arrangement. If you then need to make some changes in ISA to allow OWA to work, it's easy to find the instructions with Google.

If you are only going to use one NIC, my advice is don't use ISA. If you configured OWA correctly, it should only be accessible on port 443 anyway, and ISA doesn't really add much security to that that your router (forwarding port 443) doesn't already do via NAT. Others may disagree.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Hi,

With 1 NIC, ISA isn't going to provide any additional security as all internet traffic will be being filtered by your firewall and not ISA. Install a 2nd NIC and ISA will be able to protect your network. Rerun the CEICW and tick 'Outlook Web Access'at the relevant section and the ports required to allow OWA will be forwarded to the external NIC by ISA. That should be all you need to do (you've obviously already forwarded the correct ports on your firewall as OWA already works).

Regards Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back