Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is WSUS right for small network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkirros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
We have a relatively small network, with a single server (Win2K Server) which is the PDC, and about 45 workstations. I've been looking into WSUS as a way to simplify my update process, but I'm a bit concerned after looking at some of the documentation that our setup might not work well with WSUS, especially having only the single server. Adding another server is not an option at this point because of budget considerations. Has anyone out there had experience with WSUS in a similar environment? Any experiences that you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Well one of the problems with a setup like your's is having to put IIS onto your only server which i assume is a Domain Controller as well.

I run WSUS on a P3 1GHz with 1Gig of RAM and this server about 400 workstations so i don't think you'll suffer any load problems unless your server is very old.

What bits of the documentation put you off?

Personally, without a second server I would not add WSUS to a FSMO Domain controller; to a secondary DC, yes. You would be adding a complex, resource intensive module to an already complex machine. Best to get at least an older machine and place it on that. As Porkchopexpress notes it will work on a 1 Ghz machine. As far as memory, 512 Meg will suffice. KISS is the name of the game with an FSMO, not SNAFU.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

mkirros, can you please clarify one thing. Is your server an SBS server?

The advice given above is good and the points are valid. I do however disagree with it under certain circumstances. You may already have IIS running on your server, and therefore the chance of increased risk is very minimal. Your server already connects out to Windows Update to get its own updates, so connecting to downlaod the full catalog should be no big deal. As for being resource intensive I would also disagree. WSUS will require 7GB of free disk space to store the catalog. Beyond that you should not really see any performance hit. The WSUS server will be doing all of its work at 3AM if you go with defaults, so it is highly doubtful that you will see any difference unless you fire off the syncronization during the day.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I have around 75 wks and my wsus still running on my VM, it's slow but it does the job.

Mkirros stated it is a Wk2000 server. From a client's WSUS server, 158 Meg out of 512 is a good bit of memory; the memory use foot print increases with the amount of ram. Agreed, if it was SBS, there would be nothing to loose; the complexity would already be involved with IIs already installed.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the info. A couple of clarifications -

Our server is not SBS, but it does have IIS installed and running.

Server is a P4, 2.4GH, with 1GB of RAM.

7 GB on the data partition for the catalog is not a problem. However, the system partition is only 4GB and doesn't have a lot of free space. How much space is needed on the system partition?

No space is needed on the system partition with the minute exception of whatever space a virtual site takes up in IIS which would be just a few KB.

Just be sure when installing WSUS to specify to go to the drive you have the space available on.

Regards,

Mark

Am I right in thinking that you need SQL Server running on the server that you download the WSUS to.

Ken

You can use either SQL or MSDE. WSUS will install MSDE if no SQL is available or if you choose to not install into a SQL server.

Regards,

Mark

markdmac

Thanks for your reply, i will try that tommorrow, sorry for cutting in on another persons post, but at least it was relevant to the original question.

Cheers

Ken

If you are using MSDE I would recommend installing it yourself before WSUS so that you can specify the locations of the database files. Otherwise I think it defaults to teh C: drive, which tends to be a little small for most servers.

Good advice kmcferrin!

Regards,

Mark

I have one last question. Our licensing has been set up per server. Will that work with WSUS, or is per-seat licensing required?

Per server or per seat will work either way so long as you have the licenses for each workstation to access the server.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back