Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is WPA available in XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
I have thinkpad A30 with XP Pro SP 2 and need to connect to a WPA enabled wireless connection but WPA does not show up as an option in either the wireless networking properties or the properties of Thinkvantage Access Connections when I use it to manage the connections. All firmware, drivers, and software are right up to date.

It doesn't matter who I let manage the connection (windows or IBM software), WPA does not come up as an option. I generally use Thinkvantage Access Connection sotware to manage dozens of profiles as I travel a lot. This is the first occasion that I need to connect to a WPA enabled network (usually WEP). I pesently have a request in to Lenovo to se if the High Rate Wireless LAN Mini PCI combo card is capable of connecting to a WPA enabled network.

kdeans,
As long as you're on Service Pack 2 with all the standard updates, it "can" be an option.

From my experience, you have to let Windows detect the wireless network before it will list WPA as an option. It will see that the network is using WPA and add it to the list.

However, in order for it to detect the network, you must turn SSID broadcasting on in the wireless network settings. Then after you see the WPA option, you can turn SSID broadcasting back off.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

However, does not the wireless adapter itself have to be WPA capable as well? My [older] belkin desktop wireless adapter is windows controlled and does not show WPA, yet the newer USB 3Com adapter on my laptop does.

Yes all parties involded need to support WPA.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back