Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is VMS still being used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandan123

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
I used to work a lot on DEC/VMS systems a long time ago and it brings back good memories.

Just curious...is VMS still supported and being developed ?

We have a few DECheads and OpenVMS gurus in the company where I work---we still support old DECs and VAX boxes, as well as ES45's and all the other Alpha's. The VMS clusters where I work are still somewhat common, and we even see a CI bus from time to time! The location where I am (St. Louis office), we even have a customer that has an array hooked to a DSSI bus! And it's not even a government facility!!! The company where I work is SMS---here's a link, if ya wanna check it out---we have about 27 offices across the country.

Burt

We still use VMS/VAX where I work. We have 15 VMS servers here. I actually help monitor and do other various things with the environment including DCL programming.

Dan,

Yes, OpenVMS is alive and actively adding new features. The most recent hardware announcement involved support for the BL860c Itanium-based blades (see ).

You may also be interested in the summary article on OpenVMS that I did for OSNews.com last year (see ). If you (or your management) are interested in information that has been published in a major book, I can suggest the chapter on "OpenVMS Security" in the 2006 Handbook of Information Security, published by Wiley. A description of the chapter together with the brochure for the book can be found at (Disclaimer: I am the author of that chapter).

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back