Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is VFP 8.0 flaky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
A client has recently upgraded from VFP 6.0 to 8.0, and is now plagued with problems which didn't exist before. He is getting so frustrated that he is considering going back to 6.0.

Since he upgraded, he has started to see C5 errors, plus "VFP has crashed, sorry for the inconvenience" messages in places where they never existed before.

Specifically, he has noticed the errors occurring in:

- DODEFAULT() where there parent method is empty.

- Ordinary DO FORM commands.

- Grids' SetFocus code.

- When compiling a program.

- Several other places.

In all cases, the code has run for months without any problems in VFP 6.0.

FWIW, this is a VFP front-end to a SQL Server back-end, running under Win 2000 SP3, on average hardware. Nothing else has changed since he upgraded -- just the VFP version.

Is there any advice I can give him to help him deal with these errors.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi Mike,

I would think in the short term he should go back to version 6 (it's what I still use for the most part [or 5!]) and see if the problems go away.

(It might turn out to be anti-virus problems, so it would probably be worth turning that off for a while first).

I hadn't heard any bad things about VFP 8, except the licence conditions if you want to run it on the dreaded 'L' word!

Good luck

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I've had so many problems with 7.0 that I haven't even considered going to 8.0. Currently the debugger doesn't work for me in 7.0 -- if any of the debugger windows are open, as soon as a single line of code runs, 7.0 crashes. Also, I still run 6.0, but after installing 7.0, I'm getting a lot of crashes when I'm in 6.0. I've asked around whether other people are having this problem and having gotten much responses.

Griff,

Yes, going back to 6.0 sounds like a good bet. I'll mention the virus issue to him, but I would guess he's already aware of that.

Craig,

You asked: What have you done to attempt to fix this?

Well, I haven't done anything, apart from posting this question. I doubt if my client has either -- what can he do, other than contact Microsoft and tear his hair out?

Abelkin,

Sorry to hear about your problems with 7.0. It works OK for me, apart from some irritating bugs which were fixed by SP1.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

abelkin:

Can you start a new thread on your problem? I think there is a solution.

Mike:
Delete the FoxUer.* files.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Craig,

Delete the FoxUer.* files.

What are you saying? That the presence of these files will cause VFP to crash? That would be surprising.

And, do you mean he should delete them on a one-off basis, or that he should run permanently with SET RESOURCE OFF?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Mike,

Not surprising at all. It is documented in some MS KB article that one solution for C5 errors is to delete the Foxuser.* files.

IMO, there is no reason to have a resource file at runtime. Placing RESOURCE=OFF in Config.fpw is the best way to shut it off.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back