Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is VB.net on the decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetBlocks

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US
Hello,

I have been noticing that the demand for VB.net has been on a decline lately. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? From what I have seen all the new jobs require C#.

Babloome

I've noticed that a lot of people prefer C#. A lot of this has to do with the fact that it's very close to C++ which a lot of programmers have experience with.

I do know that a lot of programmers considder VB and VB.NET to be the little language while C# is the big language. These days they are the same, as they both compile into the same machine language and are executed by the same runtime engine.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I think it's because VB.net (four syllables) is harder to say, so bosses pick c sharp (only two syllables) instead. ;-)

Really, I think the reason for this might be some of the VB.net code that is out there. Because VB.net *looks* like VB6 a lot of people get the idea that it is OK to write huge blocks of procedural code in it (well, I guess it is OK until the time comes to try and reuse or update something ;-) ). While you can certainly do this in C#, it would look pretty ugly! Maybe being burned by this once makes higher-ups lean towards C#?

Other than that, I don't see much reason for it. Some people say VB is an inferior language but it is really just a matter of preference. Like mrdenny said, it compiles to the same machine language and about 98% of the parts are interchangeable.

ps - where I'm at I see probably about 60% C# and 40% VB.net (when only one is listed, most seem to want either/or).

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I don't do any programming whatsoever

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

I've seen the same thing. I mean, when VS mag does a VB.NET article, but the sample code is in C#....

I was thinking (yeah, I know; nothing good ever comes from THAT!) -- since so much development is webby and C# is more java-ish that maybe makes the transition easier/faster/cheaper?

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

Because VB.net *looks* like VB6 a lot of people get the idea that it is OK to write huge blocks of procedural code in it ...
Yeah, the fact that it does look like VB6 somewhat doesn't exactly help VB.NET's cause any.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Actually good VB.NET programmers are more intelligent, better looking, funnier and come from Belgium (No joke). So nearly impossible to find. Therefor most people take the easy way and ask for C# programmers. Which doesn't mean they are better programmers.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"In a system where you can define a factor as part of a third factor, you need another layer to check the main layer in case the second layer is not the base unit." - jrbarnett

Hey AlexCuse,
What state do you live in? Just curious becuse I want to leave South Florida, and am having a hard time finding places that actually use vb.net.

Thanks

Actually good VB.NET programmers are more intelligent, better looking, funnier and come from Belgium (No joke).

So its' true, they don't exist ;-)

Babloome - I live in Southeastern PA. The jobs that I get spammed with are mostly in the Philly area, with some in Delaware and New Jersey sprinkled in for good measure.

Good Luck!

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I don't do any programming whatsoever

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Same story in NY.
80% of jobs are C# and the rest want
VB.NET AND C#.
The main difference is the syntax of course, which can
be very annoying when first learning C#, and,
you have to think and use object oriented programming.
VB programmers never really had to be concerned with OOP.
To me, applying OOP concepts is the hard part.
Other than that, you can program in C# the same way
as you can with VB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back