Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is ups good for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markdeacon

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
GB
I can get my hands on a 500va (300w) ups system quite cheap. Its made by belkin.

I have crap electric in my house the voltage is alwase going up down and everything. Sometimes it cuts the pc off othertimes its fine. However i turn my computer off everynight. Could i use ups still? or would the ups go mental with alarm bells ringing and all sorts.

Also will 300w be enough for a 500w psu that sais 297w on the side of it as maximum output? I cannot get any more than 300w for the price i want to pay. Not to botherd about ups but at £20 im just looking for a gadget lol

500VA will be fine. Depending on the UPS management software, you may be able to turn off the alarm. A power out for a second or so shouldnt trigger the alarm, but longer than that would, so check for a seting in the software. I would stick with 500VA ince you mentioned your power cuts in and out. A P4 Desktop with 16-21 inch LCD gets about 12 mins of battery backup time on 500VA.

I don't know sir...I guess its broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back