Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this what Stub Zones look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceez

MIS
Oct 30, 2008
US
Hello everyone.

I just have a curiuos question if the following are stub zones:

stubzones.jpg

accounting, baftl & newyork.

I was wondering because they only have NS Records for the DC's of each chid domain. My understanding is that it should have SOA, A and NS records.

Thanks,

ceez

Those look to be delegations to me. Subdomains??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

unclerico, yes they are child domains in our forrest.

delagations huh?!? ok time to read up on those. Is it similar to stubs? can I get rid of them without problems?

thanks again,

ceez

NOOOO!!! Don't get rid of them lol. You need them if you are using subdomains since you need to delegate authority for DNS. A lot of people will use delegations in conjunction with Stub Zones since stubs, like you said above, maintain a dynamic list of the NS, SOA, and Glue (A) records of the zone.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Yes unclerico is right, don't delete them because you will cause problems you don't want with your network.

FYI:
Stub Zones are mainly used by parent zones to keep Names Servers on the child zones updated. Also good if you want to keep network traffic to a minium.

3 reasons your company may have decided to use delegations:

1) When you need to delegate management of a DNS domain to a branch or department within your orginazation.
2) Load maintence on a large DNS database and fault tolerance.
3) When you need hosts and host names to be structured according to branch or departmental affiliation within your organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back