Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is this the wrong app for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblue

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
I am trying to use PSP8 to edit a raster image that is 7632x5094 pixels. This is an image of a map with text and symbols and it is pure black on white. I am trying to re-arrange things by floating areas of pixels and moving them around. This effort is bringing my system to its knees. I am staring at an hourglass for minutes on end. Simple requests like selecting a layer in the layers palette result in extended waits.
I have 500MB of RAM and 2.5 gig processor.
Is it it just that I do not have enough RAM, or is there another issue?

What format is the image saved in? You might try saving it as a gif and or reducing the number of colors to 16 or less.

mike

It is a black and white tiff.
At some point PSP converts it to 6000000 colors. I don't get that.

Save a copy as a gif with 16 colors and that should reduce the file size considerably. The .tiff is a high resolution Photoshop format.

mike

I'll try that, but I have to have a sharp inkjet print at 13"x19"

You might also try saving a copy in the gif format with 256 colors.

mike

Even saving as a jpeg will reduce file size tremendously. I also work with tiff - usually 12 to 16 megabyte file size. I save as jpeg and reduce size to 500kb.

Since you're using 2 colors, follow mThomas's lead and convert to 16 or 256 color GIF and you won't see any significant loss in print resolution.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I'm not sure the file type has anything to do with it - while PSP is working in an image it uses its own memory structure; gif/jpeg compression is only applied when the files are saved to disk. Reducing the colour depth will certainly help, try printing versions with 256, 16 and 2 colours and see what's an acceptable level of quality.

Another thing you can do is reduce the number of undo steps (its in General Program Preferences in v7, I'm not on 8 yet). Every time you float those bits & pieces around, PSP is remembering where they used to be in case you want to undo - this can take up a lot of space with a big image.

-- Chris Hunt

Good point Chris! Anything to reduce overhead will help.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

The file format is only relevant in that it indicates the number of colors the image carries. If you open a gif and then increase the color depth to 16 mil and begin applying effects using gradients etc...; then you are of course going to see an increase in the redraw time between applications of effects, if the new elements are memory heavy. If you open a gif and just stay within the 256 color depth then you will not have a marketed increase in wait time between applying new elements and the redrawing of the PSP window.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back