Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boab

Programmer
May 30, 2001
GB
Hi folks,

We currently have an elearning application based in flash. There is a swf which is loaded in to be used as a notes / journal pad. What we would like to do is have a button which saves the swf to a local hard drive as a swf file which can act as an interactive journal when offline is there a way to save only the journal swf from the application which retains all the info entered on line.

The way I understand this is we are effectively asking to create a swf dynamically and then save it. (I maybe wrong)

It may be not be possible but, we though we'd ask just in case.

Many thanks in advance.

The Start of wisdom is to realise you know nothing. I'll be a genius then!

sounds a bit like you only need to save certain info

have you looked at sharedObject

the user can then have the swf which will be updated with the info contained in the sharedObject

harder to be more presise with your rather vague question

We are using sharedObject to run the application on-line but what we want to do is save an off line version saved as a swf on the users local hard disk. This is so that the user can look at their notes off line.

Hi, I'm new to flash but can't it read and write text files? Use like a cookie system?

yes I've even had it working with a word application but my boss has his heart set on having a local off-line copy of the journal / notepad swf for the user to browse at their leisure.

Try creating a file on the main server in a folder for profiles. When you write to the file, update the first line in it to the latest update number, date and time. Then add an update button with a script to compare the local version of the saved file-on the user end computer-with the file on the server. (check version number, time and date.) If necesarry copy the file to the local computer. Sound feasible?

What you say?

I think you will run into security (sandbox) problems.

For obvious reasons Flash is not allowed to write to a clients computer (outside of a cookie or as mentioned the sharedObject). Imagine the number of viruses, trojan horses, and spywares that could be delivered through Flash if you could do what you propose.

Hope it helps.

hey, this sharedobject has me wondering now, if someone is accessing a swf file that can be updated, then someone else opens it too, what will happen, does both save to the same file or will one save on top of the other?

I down't think FLASH is the way to go, sounds like you need JAVA... That way an Application and/or applet can work on and/or offline. If you go with an applet, then you'll have a problem with sandbox as well, but you can get arround it by signed certificates.

SharedObject is specific to user and is stored on the client machine (in the manner of a cookie). There would be no conflict with another user.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

my two cents...if your boss want the user to be able to browser the swf offline, require the user to save/update his copy and leave the oringal on the server.

That way sandbox issues are not a problem, they are only getting the lastest version off the server.

hope this help

jef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back