Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS this possible in Microstrategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSSQL123

Programmer
Jul 25, 2007
US
I have the following attributes

PacificMonth,PacificDate
CentralMonth,CentralDate
EastrenMonth,EastrenDate

i have a object prompt consisting of
pacificMonth
CentralMOnth
EastrenMOnth

i have 3 filters as
Pacificdate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX'
Centraldate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX'
Eastrendate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX'

So i want a report with that object prompt
such that
when ever particulr object is selected the related filter should be applied to the report

for example
If i select PacificMonth object from the prompt the
Pacificdate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX' should be applied on the report

If i select CentralMonth object from the prompt the
CentralDate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX' should be applied on the report

If i select EastrenMonth object from the prompt the
EastranDate between 'XXXX' and 'XXXX' should be applied on the report

IS this possible in Microstrategy?

Is there any work Around?

PLs reply

thanks

Hi

I think that it is possible. You can make a new father attribute GenericDate of three attribute PacificDate, CentralDate, EastrenDate. Now you must to do a filter of date with the new attribute GenericDate. When you choose a PacificMonth the filter of Genericdate take the path for the attribute Pacificdate. You must be careful in you template only can use one of three attributes PacificMonth, CentralMonth or EastrenMonth. If you have any problem you can to do that GenericDate is son of PacificMonth , CentralMonth , EastrenMonth and father of PacificDate, CentralDate, EastrenDate, but I think that you only need that GenericDate is father of PacificDate, CentralDate, EastrenDate.

I hope that it’s useful for you.

Bye

1) If Month and Date attributes are parent-child you should not need to define both on the report.

If you use a hierarchy prompt I think you can achieve this result.

Create a custom hierarchy called Pacific where the only attributes on it are PacificMonth and PacificDate.

Now create a hierarchy prompt and select this hierarchy. If a user selects PacificMonth and drills down he will see PacificDate attribute which he can drag across to select a 'between' condition.

2) If you are going to use PacificMonth on the report as attribute and have filters PacificDate, EasternDate and CentralDate already on the report and only want to apply PacificDate then I think you need to place all three filters in the metric. The trick here I think is to dissociate any relationship between Pacific, Central and Eastern filters. So only the filter that is related to the attribute will get applied and the rest of the filters will be ignored.

I'll check back and you let me know if you have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back