Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible in Excel? About inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accesser

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet that is basically a flat inventory database and contains > 5000 rows. It has a category column (System) that can be used to filter thru the data. The System field may be A, B, C or D. The spreadsheet also has other columns:

Item
Quanity on Hand
Unit
Projected Number Per Project
Target Number to Order More
etc.

I'd like to build in some functionality on a toolbar or a popup form that allows the following:

--select a System (A, B, C or D) from a listbox (on the toolbar or form),

--enter a number (i.e., expected number of System A's to do next month) in a control,

--code that multiplies the values in the Projected Number Per Project column by the number that was entered into the control, either putting the results into a new column or changing the values in the Projected Number Per Project column (but having a restore option to restore the default numbers)

--subtracts the Product Quantity on Hand values from the newly computed Projected Number Per Project values, storing the new data in the same column (with an option to restore the previous numbers) or a new column

--compares the new Quantity on Hand values with the Target Number to Order More values, highlighting all the Quantity on Hand cells that are less than the Target Number values a certain color and showing the resulting difference.

That's all (LOL). Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

You can probably do most of what you want right on the spreadsheet.

Do you use the AutoFilter? With the AutoFilter, you can select the System value from a drop down.

The multiplacation can be accomplished with formulas.

Whether this is a spreadsheet or other application, I would be adding a row with new data (rather than changing an existing value) I would data code each row. If the added row needs to be deleted, then delet it.

Some of this might need to be coded. but why don't you try going as far as you can with built-in functionality.

Keep in touch

:)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back