Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this Possble? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marble

Programmer
Mar 17, 2001
CA
Hi,

I would like a user to click on a banner link that has been emailed

(
where images is a another directory, id is assign to that file and type of file...

I created a logon.asp file that connects and authenicates based on the username and password.

I would like to eliminate the username and password boxes on the form and have the user(this one user) info passed from another file on the server. I know this seems wierd, this user does not want to type in a username and password when they receive this link.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is this a little bit much from a user.

Sorry, if this does not make sense...

Thanks,

Marble

I'm not sure I totally understand, but if I am thinking correctly, your user doesn't want to have to type in the userID and Password every time to login, so you want a way for them to be automatically logged in when they go to your site?

If so, there would seam to be a lot better way then letting them click on an image on your site to log in...that way someone else could log in as that user...anyone who clicks on the image. However if you set a cookies on this users machine with their primary key number along with a second data source from the db, you could check to see if a cookie is on any users machine when they go to the login page...if the cookie exists, retrieve the pk number, goto that record in the database, then verify with the second data source to somthin in the database (like a user id or somthing), and if both match, then log the user in...if they don't match, or if the user doesn't have a cookie on their machine, then have them presented with the login form.

Now you can add to that a checkbox on your login form with "Remember Me?" next to it so any user of your site has that ability to be remembered...not just this one user.

That is what I do with my site (still in development) for my family at Think it should work nicely for you...a lot better than clicking on an image which is a security hole in your site.

-Ovatvvon :-Q

Ovatvvon,

Yes, this is exactly want I want to do. I will give this a try!

Thankyou for your reply!

marble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back