Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this normal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB
I've been running Netbackup on a MSL5026 SDLT tape library for over 4 months. Its been backing up quite happily until the drive asked to be cleaned last week. The backup requirement is about 150Gb per night. The drive has now been cleaned with a SDLT cleaning cartridge and ever since the backup performance has been flakey to say the least.

I've experienced a number of write errors on different cartridges that has caused netbackup to down the drive.

Is this sort of behaviour normal ? Does anyone have experience of a similar situation ?

I'm going to initiate another clean of the drive to see if this gets rid of the problems. Is there any way in which a tape test can be conducted once the tapes are in the library.

I was hoping to get more than 4 months out of an SDLT tape does anyone have an idea of how long these things last ?

When you clean a drive, do it about 2 - 3 times. If the problem still exists, your drive may be needing replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back