Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this EXE on Client or Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busari

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
KR
Hello to everyone!

In order to make it easier to update a program, I have put a STARTUP.EXE and the MAIN.EXE files on the Server. The STARTUP copies the MAIN to myMAIN in the Client's C: drive if MAIN's date and time is bigger than myMAIN's. Then the STARTUP runs myMAIN. The FoxPro DLL files and data tables reside in the same folder of the Server as STARTUP.

Even though all the work is performed by myMAIN, will this arrangement cause performance problem because, after all, all the Clients are executing the same STARTUP.EXE and the DLL files are on the Server?

Hi cycho,

I use approx te same techniques.
But i copy the DLL's to the harddisk too. That's just as important as the EXE in my opinion.

I find no performance degradation at all when dozens of users use the same startup.exe on the server. It's merely reading a file, isn't it? But keep in mind that network traffic is always slowing performance when reading/writing.
But you only read this startup.exe once.

So the best performance will be achieved by:
- putting DLL's and EXE on the harddisk.
(DLL's need only be copied once...)
- starup.exe on the network-share for easy updating

Greetings,
JackTheC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back