Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this even possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandg

Technical User
Jun 7, 2002
US
So my old friend requests that I install Win95 on an old Tecra 8000 laptop. I have a floppy and a DVD-Rom (CD support included), but only one bay. If I use the floppy drive, the boot disk wont detect the CD-ROM hardware (obviously since it's not connected) and aborts installing any drivers.

So is this really a stoopid question or is there a way around this?

TIA!

1) Attach floppy format the disk /b/s. It should copy the system on to the hard disk
2) Attach CD, boot up from main disk
3) CD to the CD and type setup.

In addition to formatting with choice for system, you need to add the drivers required for CD access. Includes the config loded drivers and MSCDEX from DOS.
I normally use the downloaded boot disk for 98SE as a source and transfer it to the hard drive. You need to edit the config and autoexec to change the pointers to c: then is a matter of booting from the hard drive and normal install.
But you might want to consider doing an install from the hard drive if you have an extra 60mb to 120mb to spare. The install goes faster and you won't need to find the CD forever when you make changes.
You can get a 98SE boot disk from .

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes, it's possible to install win95/98. But you need different information. Listen up: This laptop requires Toshiba proprietary drivers. There was a separate disk published for each version of windows. The one provided by Toshiba at the time of purchase is called Configuration Builder CD Tecra 8000 Series for Windows 95 (or 98 or 2000). After installing win95, you can, with some effort, upgrade to win98. Someone in British Columbia is selling a copy of the files for win95/98 and 2000 as a recovery disk on ebay, you will need to supply the MS disk of your choice. Or if you're really patient, maybe you can ferret out the files at the toshiba website. However I was not that patient. Good luck.

btw, I have the cd/dvd installed in the laptop and the fdd attached by cable to the floppy disk jack, which is located on the right side under the PC card slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back