Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this an invalid email address in Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
If I have an SMTP address that has a "." before the @ sign, does Exchange consider this invalid. It's on a distribution list, and here is an example.

Example:

Test.DL.@mydomain.com

It used to work before migrating to Exchange 2003. When trying to use it, whether by SMTP address or selecting from the GAL, I get the following error:

The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

<[mailserver].###.#####.net #5.1.3>

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Check the Exchange Alias in ADUC on the Exchange General tab. Does it have a terminal dot?

The Default policy in Exchange uses the Alias to generate SMTP addresses.

Are you using a custom recipient policy that could be causing the incorrect name?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Technically, under RFC2822, Test.DL.@mydomain.com is an illegal address. It looks like Exchange 2003 is being more rigorous in applying the standard than previous versions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back