Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this a security risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkTooth

Programmer
Aug 12, 2004
US
I'm doing some testing on a vendor’s web site and ran into the error below. I told the
vendor that displaying this kind of error could give a hacker the information needed to
hack the db or attempt SQL injection attacks etc. (btw this is a bank). The vendor is telling
me that there is no danger in releasing this information on the web site. I thold them they need to display something else.

Assuming you or a hacker had this information, company information and the URL where this
error occurred; do you think these pose a security risk?
Code:
[COLOR=blue]

Insert statement conflicted with COLUMN CHECK constraint 'AColumnCheckConstraint'. 
The conflict occurred in database 'ADatabaseName', table 'ATableName', column 'PaymentAmount'.., 
PaymentXML: 10056AWEBWEB01-4858538-14 ... WEBSERVERNAME ... 

[/color]

All errors must be handled by the applicationa and give back human readable information to the user. For example a simple messgae of "Record not Found" etc would cover it. Sound more like sloppy programming than anything else to me.

Do not take life too seriously, because in the end, you won't come out alive anyway

Absolutely.

Never give details of your set up over a website.

There are a number of methods of compromising that particular error message into accessing the rest of the table, unless very rigourous protection is in place.

I'd suggest (DO NOT DO THIS without first getting the client's approval) proving the danger to the client by bringing up the table contents onscreen from an external source.

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

Thanks. I'm not sure how I would be able to get the information to display. I'm no hacker, I think I could inject something though.

Do a quick google on "SQL Injection"

Showing details about your schema in an error message is a definite risk.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back