Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this a "project" or "program"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahar11

Technical User
Apr 17, 2011
CA
Hi everyone,
I've just started a course in PM and I need to know the answers to the following questions by Apr 21. I've been in IT field for about 15 years, but quite new to PM. I appreciate your ideas and feedback.

In 2015, Toronto will be hosting the Pan Am Games.

1.In your estimation, would you consider the Games a project or a program.
2.Based on your readings, and answer to question 1, indicate with EXAMPLES why you think the Games should be treated as a project or program.
3.In terms of constraints, which constraint would definitely have to be met and WHY.?
4.In your estimation what would constitute success for these Games and how would you measure it.
5. identify one (1) positive and two (2) negative stakeholders and indicate why you see them as positive or negative stakeholders
6.For the negative stakeholders identified, indicate what strategy you would use to manage their concerns.

Which college/school/institute is offering the course?

Materials for the Microskills "Project Management Online Training" include the PMBOK.

In PMBOK version 3 on page 16 it very nicely differentiates between programs and projects (this answers your first two questions). The answer to question 3 is self-evident and questions 4-6 ask for your personal opinions so no one here can do much more than suggest you look within yourself for your own opinions.

Thanks for replying. Yes I've just finished the first chapter of PMBOK.... and answers to those questions are personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back