Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this a New Record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneBrennan

Programmer
May 19, 1999
GB
Problem with the nav buttons.<br><br>I've got a forms - with a sub-form.&nbsp;&nbsp;The sub-form has a textbox which counts the number of records.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I use the Nav Buttons to move to a NEW record(on the main form) I get an error, when I check the content of this textbox - As you know Access is not very clear on when it comes to error messages.<br><br>Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem?<br><br> <p> Shane Brennan<br><a href=mailto:brennans@tcat.ac.uk>brennans@tcat.ac.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Shane...&nbsp;&nbsp;the problem is because the navigator buttons take you around what's on the main form.&nbsp;&nbsp;And that is not where you have the records.&nbsp;&nbsp;So what I suggest, is that you take off the navigator buttons on the main form.&nbsp;&nbsp;By going into design mode in the main form, looking at the properties, and deselecting Record Navigators.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then.... I would add command buttons to your subform that will allow you to move to the next and previous records.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps!&nbsp;&nbsp;

That won't work IssyMarie<br><br>I've already tried that.&nbsp;&nbsp;But I need to be able add new cupboards on this screen, so when I create new record - Access does a wobbler and goes belly up!<br><br>I'll keep trying but if you have any more suggestions I would appreciate it<br><br> <p> Shane Brennan<br><a href=mailto:brennans@tcat.ac.uk>brennans@tcat.ac.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Well lets see some of your code and the exact line its Belly flopping on.<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Hi Doug!<br><br>ALMOST GOT THE BUGGER!<br><br>Right.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've spent ALL day on this frigging thing and It has driven me MAD!<br><br>But I have only one obstical to overcome now (Spoken like a true professional).<br><br>I'll tell ya the last remaining problem in a sec, but here is the code behind the sub-form:<br><br>------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = False<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If IsEmpty(Me![NoOfBoxes]) Or IsEmpty(Me![MaxAllowed]) Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me![NoOfBoxes] = 0 Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me![NoOfBoxes] &gt;= Me![MaxAllowed] Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = True Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = False<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br><br>End Sub<br><br><br>Private Sub Form_Delete(Cancel As Integer)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br><br>End Sub<br><br>Private Sub Form_Timer()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If IsEmpty(Me![NoOfBoxes]) Or IsEmpty(Me![MaxAllowed]) Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me![NoOfBoxes] = 0 Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me![NoOfBoxes] &gt;= Me![MaxAllowed] Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = True Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = False<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Me.AllowAdditions = False Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>End Sub<br><br>-----------------------------------------------<br><br>Okay&nbsp;&nbsp;I've overcome most of the errors I was having, by simply removing the navigation bars, creating a new next button and put the following code behind it:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Me![cupboards - subform].Form.AllowAdditions = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext<br><br>I had to do this, because without the ALLOW ADDITIONS set to true on the sub-form Access, like I say, went belly up.&nbsp;&nbsp;setting this to TRUE allows the stops a lot of errors caused by NoOfBoxes not being set with a value.<br><br>Okay the last problem: as I see it.<br><br>When I reach the MaxAllowed, Access still displays the Append record at the end of the sub-form for @ 1/2 a sec, whilst the timer routine steps in and disables the ALLOWADDITIONS.&nbsp;&nbsp;Speed typest, could enter 1 or two extra record before it is removed...<br><br>Any suggestions on how I can stop this?<br> <p> Shane Brennan<br><a href=mailto:brennans@tcat.ac.uk>brennans@tcat.ac.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back