Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this a fit for Peachtree? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Here is a prospect that does not want to buy my normal offering, Macola. Please tell me if this is a fit or not:

*Manufacturer with multi-level BOMs, up to 7 levels deep.
*Up to 2200 components on a single level of the BOM.
*15 named users, could get by with 10 concurrent
*Has to have customer item numbers
*Has to have vendor item numbers
*Has to have vendor contract pricing
*Has to have serial tracking of FG and subassemblies

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Currently, the top edition of Peachtree has a maximum of 10 named users (named not concurrent).

BOM's are single level, but that can be worked around.

Speed would be terrible after about 2 months.

Don't get me wrong Peachtree is the best accounting solution for a lot of SMALL businesses. But the key word is small 2 or 3 users max. Peachtree says 5. Course Volkswaugeen says you can get 5 football linemen in a bug, too and we all know how many people fit in a phone booth.

Bill Couture
http:\\

Agree with Bill 100%. Don't go Peachtree if you have more than a few people that will be using it.

What do they manufacture? Do they need to interface with any inventory or ERP softwares?

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

I thought Peachtree had Inventory. Are you saying they don't?

There is no MRP requirements.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

--Dave Barry

Also, Peachtree themselves are telling me that they support 20 uers, although I have to buy 2 licenses of Peachtree Quantum.

--Dave Barry

Quantim supports 10 users, max. Databases in Peachtree can be opened by any copy of Peachtree of the right edition. I frequently move a customers copy to my machine and open it.

Writing might be a very big issue. I think this is the kind of thing you'd better get in writting from Sage with a solid guarantee it will work. I.e I don't think the sales rep you were talking with understood you.

As to inventory, yes Peachtree has a good inventory, but the BOM is one level.

Bill Couture

The sales rep also said Quantum supported multilevel BOMs.

--Dave Barry

This is from the Quantum 8 help.

Set Up an Assembly Item
How Do I...

An assembly is made up of other items in your inventory; so when you build an assembly item, you can only build as many as you have components. For example, if you were putting together 200 TV/VCR assemblies and you only have 50 VCRs, you'll only be allowed to build up to 50 TV/VCR assemblies.

There are two steps to creating an assembly item: 1) define the items (components) the assembly contains, and 2) build the assembly. Additionally, you can purchase prebuilt "assemblies."

To set up and define an assembly item
From the Maintain menu, select Inventory Items. Peachtree displays the Maintain Inventory Items window.
Enter the ID of the assembly, and select Assembly as the item class. An ID can be created from the Description you enter, provided that option is selected in Maintain Global Options.
After you finish filling out the window, select the Bill of Materials tab. Don't select the Save button; saving the item at this point will cause it to become a stock-item type.
Select item IDs for existing stock items or assemblies only, and enter the quantity. Press ENTER. Do this for each item that makes up the assembly.
When you're finished entering the assembly item, select the Save button.
When you are finished entering inventory items, select the Close button.

You can include other assemblies as inventory items in an assembly. But seeing them in levels isn't easy.

I think you got a Peachtree salesman who was real optimistic about the products capabilities.

Bill Couture

FYI,

1) Peachtree does offer multi-level (don't know how many). You have to build each level before you can build the next. Pt doesn't offer phanton BOM.
2) 2200 items on a BOM seems like a lot.
3) Rumour is that Quantum will offer 20 concurrent users.
4) If the prospect needs an internal item number which translates to a vendor and customer number, I don't think Peachtree will do it.
5) Peachtree has limited pricing options.
6) Peachtree does have some serial number options, but there are limitations.
7) Your prospect needs to realize that generally more functionality requires more $$$.

CJ

I agree there are work arounds regarding the BOM but breaking out the cost is a real mess. As to Quantum and 20 users I don't think Sage will go that way. Right now Peachtree is the bottom of the MAS2000 line. I think they want to keep it there.

Quantum uses the Pervasive SQL engine which could handle a lot more then 20 users so this is a Sage decision. There is a report in Accounting Tech that it will be switched to MYSQL - probably not before the 2009 edition. That could handle more, too.

The real question is does Sage want to sell a very good $3000 product or would it rather sell a $20,000+ so so product.

Bill Couture

Bill,

Sage themselves are telling me that with Quantum multilevel BOMs are no problem nor is 20 users a problem.

Not all that critical because 2200 components IS a problem, so we are looking at other products now.

--Dave Barry

I've been told a lot of things by Sage. Including a lot of things about BOM's. If what Sage tech support tells me is different from what I find in the documentation I believe the documentation. That's because 1) Sage will say we never said that at if you rely on tech support and they are wrong and 2) because Sage tech support is a phone room with 1/2 trained people reading answers off a CRT. I.E they don't always know what they are talking about.

BOM's can be multiple level in the sense that a BOM can be contained in a BOM. The problem is the breakout which got a lot better with Quantum. This is more of a reporting issue then anything else.

Where the problem comes up is if you want to substitue an item in a 2nd or 3rd level BOM. You usually end up having to look that BOM up. You can't see the detail from the top level. For most people this works but if you have complex BOM needs it is a mess.

Bill Couture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back