Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS THIS A DNS ISSUE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2004
US
I've seen this on my network several times, where I have one computer which responds to two different host names but returns the same IP Address.

I ping this machine by name at "host1" it returns 192.168.1.1
I ping this machine by name at "host2" it returns 192.168.1.1

What is going on! Is this a problem on my DNS or local system? Thanks for any help.

Thats looks very much like a DNS problem.
Both host names have the same DSN entry.
To test it on windows use 'nslookup' to see the exact response the server gives when asking for the host ip.

nslookup returned the same values when I used it on both systems. Any other tips or explanations on how this can occur? Thanks again for your help!

Ok. Well we need to look at a couple things.
Is this a Windows2k(3) DNS + domain?
Do you run DHCP or static IPs?
Is the DNS Dynamic? Active Directory Intergrated?

In order no know which path to take we need to know how the system is running. For example I can't just say delete the records if its static... cause that would probably be bad. ;-)

Bascially your DNS has multiple records for the same IP. Which is completely legal.. but in this case not 'right'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back