Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there such a thing for a rj-45 network?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,

I know that there are products that can use rj-11 (for dial up) cabling that plug into the standard ac power outlet in a wall by using the in home wiring as netwrok media. But I am wondering if there are any products that do the same thing but with rj-45 for a LAN??

Does anybody know of any products such as this. If so, what is the name and how much????

Gooby

I am not sure I fully understand your question but here goes...

If you are asking if there is a way to plug an RJ45/cat5 cable from a standard NIC into a phone outlet. The short answer is, no.

The type of LAN you are talking about (homePNA) uses the existing phone lines in your home to create connections between computers on your network. You need special network interface cards (NIC's) for this, and they are $35-$50 each. Max bandwidth was 1Mbps but I have heard the new ones are 10Mbps (don't hold me to that).

If you want to connect to the internet with DSL/Cable using this type of network there is only one gateway(router) I know of right now.

2Wire HomePortal 100W. It's about $400 and of course you need the homePNA NIC's for each of the computers as well

I hope this answers your question.

The Linksys Homenetwork using phonelines works very well. I have a 10/100 lab upstairs with a 2Mbps pipe to the internet. I use a bridge from Linksys to connect this network to the phonelines.. My daughters PC is connected via this phoneline net and I have a another bridge downstairs so I can drag my laptop outside onto the patio ( tough life!! :) ) The bridges were 100 bucks each.. the NICs are on eBay for pennies but if you buy them new, you can get them for around 35 bucks depending on where you shop. And yes, I use the phone while downloading 20 meg files just fine. Mine is the 1 Mbps and I get that.. I have not tried the 10Mbps version yet.

Now.. to run it over powerlines?? Have not tried that..but Radio shack sells phone extenders that work over the powerline.. I wonder if I could daisy chain the devices?

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Just reread the post -Powerlines- sorry. No there is no way i know of to network using powerlines. There aren't any products available yet. The standard was just finalized this year and large scale testing started in june (i think).

Tut systems sells Bridges to use phone wire for 10 meg ethernet, but they are about $300 each I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back