Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there "SCD Intelligent Assistant" to deal with SCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
May 27, 2005
CA
It is said in a DataStage white paper that there's "SCD Intelligent Assistant" to deal with SCD. Is that true? Is it a plug-in?

Thanks so much for your help.

No. They may come up with one in the next release, but for now, no. I know that this is a major shortcoming compared to some of the competitors such as Infomatica and even Cognos Decision Stream.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Then I guess the "Intelligent Assistant" is just a wizard to lead you through the design process step by step and make design easier. The result is nothing but a job.

If so, you can design the job manually. The only concern is if you need some coding work. Do you think "Intelligent Assistant" would generate some code?

I may be mistaken. I need to check up on this Intelligent Assistant feature as I may have my releases mixed up. I have been working with DS off and on since version 5.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

There is an Intelligent Assistant with the version 7.x releases that has a very simple template to create a basic data migration job. There was briefly a release that had intelligent assistants for type 1, 2 and 3 slowly changing dimensions however this was quickly pulled out of official releases. Probably not production ready.

You can still find the template jobs for this intelligent assistant within the Templates directory of your client install. There are several directories there with SCD type 1, 2 and 3 export files. You can import these files into your project and have a look at them but they are not that useable as most of the metadata is missing and they are not well annotated.

Parallel jobs have a change capture stage and a surrogate key generator stage so it is easy to write you own jobs for slowly changing dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back