Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there anyway to tell who created an nt account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notaro

MIS
May 21, 2002
US
An Nt account showed up recently in user manager. We have no idea what its for or who created it. It was in the domain admins group so we were a little worried. We've disabled it and will wait and see if anyone complains. I would like to know where it came from so my question is can this be found out somehow? If not who then maybe when?

Thanks

If i were you... id change the admin password too.

The only way to make an account is on the PDC or BDC. Make sure those are secure.

Actually, anyonme with admin or account admin permissions can do it from any NT machine with User Manager for Domains installed (i.e. a workstation box with the administrative tools installed, or a member server).

Unless you have security auditing enabled it would be very difficult to figure out who created it. Also, remember that some software packages (Crystal/Seagate Info comes to mind, but there are others) will create accounts for specific functions.

What name is the account? Maybe we can guess if an installation created the account as jaeddy suggested. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back