Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there anyway to record "popup" origins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasen

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2002
US
Event viewer records the fact that I recieved a popup through the messenger service, but I'd like to log the originating address. Is there a way to do this? It would seem to be a security flaw to me if there was not. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

----Event viewer records the fact that I recieved a popup through the messenger service, but I'd like to log the originating address. Is there a way to do this? It would seem to be a security flaw to me if there was not.

It's a security flaw that you even HAVE IT ON.

Also, addresses (netbios and IP) can be spoofed. No logging will stop that.

Krale - what - the messenger service? Its a security flaw running windows connected to anything at all!!

The only "secure" Windows system is when the power light isn't on.

;-)

Jasen, all kidding aside (for no one here has really helped him), one way is to install firewall software and view the connections and web history. They'll show the sites that launched the popup (usually ads, not spoofed), and you can set the firewall to block those sites in the future. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Ok ok, all joking aside, let's answer the real question: How do I stop these Messenger Pop-up ads from appearing on my computer? Answer: Stop the Messenger service on the local machines.

The problem he's seeing is not related to visiting a website, he's probably sitting at his machine, working away diligently, when a pop-up window from Messenger suddenly appears advising him that he can get a college diploma for only $19.95 (plus S&H).

Blocking any particular website won't stop the pop-ups, since they're not a result of web surfing.

Dave

No they're not result of web surfing, but blocking all TCP/IP traffic from the computer sending them (not the website) would stop them. I was just going to try and compile a list of originating addresses of computers sending this crap. But it doesn't matter.
I signed away my security the day I inserted the Windows disk. You can bet that my webserver is running FreeBSD though. :) ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

There is a handy message blocker available (free) on the Adsubtract website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back