Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there anyway to contact/talk with someone with sharescreen? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip Brnic

Programmer
Dec 25, 2023
RS
Alright so straight up, I'm stuck at something and I don't have any progress what so ever, I keep asking here for codes/help/tips, even though you provide me good answers I don't have a clue and I don't understand one bit, Is there ANY way, We can use skype, facebook, discord, or anything similar so I can ask you what I'm trying to achieve whilst having a share screen so you understand me better, Only progress I've made by now was by watching a youtube guide from a guy called Garfield Hudson, and some stuff I've did on my own, but now I'm getting into (I think) a little more complex stuff, not complex ass in code itself but connecting multiple things to work together.

So please, IF someone can, I will provide any social media/application you want, But I just want an experienced Visual fox pro programmer to help me, because I have no background to coding, even though I have the logic for it I'd say, I don't think I can just wonder around and learn visual fox pro, I think there is a certain way everyone codes and works in it, So if someone can, I'd Appreciate this so so so so sooooooooo much!!!!!! [bigglasses]

Filip,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with VFP. I hope you will find someone to help.

But it leads me to ask an obvious question: Why is it so important to you to learn FoxPro? Are you responsible for maintaining an existing system? Or developing a new one? Or is this just an intellectual exercise for you.

The reason I ask is that, while VFP is a terrific development tool, it is also a hugely complicated one, and consequently very difficult for a beginner to learn. (Most FoxPro experts started with the much simpler earlier versions and worked their way up gradually.)

For anyone starting out in programming, there are better choices available. A good choice might be Python, for example. But of course it depends on what your ultimate needs and goals are.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

And just a quick reminder to anyone who might want to answer Filip's request: Posting email addresses in the forum is strictly forbidden. It will usually cause your post to be deleted.

That said, I would think that disguising the address in the clever way used by Tore should be OK - as would including in your signature the URL of a website that has your contact details.

Mike

The censorship on this forum is just as bad as it was before I left it for several years. Unless my deleted message is restored, I'm out of here for good.

I guess this message will be deleted also....???

Im learning this because my grandad made accounting services program in visual fox pro and literally 80% of serbias accounting runs on it, I hate coding but i love visual fox pro. I like the fact i can put stuff and see them instead of just writing codes and seeing nothing until i get the code right, regardless i still feel as though the main question was ignored, can i have assistence via call/share screen?

Yes, I and probably others as well, can assist you. But unless the administrators on this forum restores my earlier message, they show that they won't let us. And if that doesn't change, this will be my very last message on this forum.

Luckily for you, there are other FoxPro forums with fewer restrictions.

Cant we just exchange medias and add each other instantlly?

Tore,

If it was my earlier warning about email addresses that got your post deleted, I must apologise. That was not my intention. On the contrary, I thought you did a good job of communicating the address without actually posting it.

Please, please don't consider leaving the forum again. The "censorship" that you mentioned is well intentioned: to prevent scammers and spammers from scraping the forum for email addresses.

Let me suggest a solution. My own email address can be found on the contacts page of my website - see my signature below. If both Tore and Filip would care to email me, I would be happy to put them in touch with each other.

Mike

I don't need any third person's assistance. My email address can be decoded from firstname(at)lastname(dot)no. And note, I'm bold enough to use my real name.

If that's not acceptable, and this message also gets deleted, I take the hint.

To your direct question: More direct interaction may clear up many things faster than with forum posts, reading books or even watching videos, but I think you have not a good idea what Visual in Visual FoxPro or any other Visual programming language means.

The idea to do everything visually existed very early on, even already in the 60s, if not 50s. All efforts of that can be condensed to what's considered Visual programming languages today: Designing forms/windows and reports visually with what you see is what you get principles (WYSIWYG) in designers, but that's not replacing code, it's just much simpler than designing this visual design and form layout with HTML, as one of many counterexamples. The basis of VFP forms is also still existing in Visual Studio when you pick a Winforms project, for example. Unike a new VFP project that even starts only giving you an empty project manager a C#/VB.NET Winform projects starts with an empty main form that's in the main focus of what you design.

Just browse through any threads here and you'll see us exchanging what? Mostly code snippets.

We don't talk much about instructions to click here and there. I doubt you have the very idea to do applications without knowing a programming language, but let me assure you designing forms is where I spend the least time, most of the time is spent modifying code or writing new one. Plus debugging to see where execution does not work as expected. And that's not just a personal choice.

So as a developer, you mostly look at code. A job in the IT industry to mainly spend in visual design would be web designer or frontend programmer in the whole area of web programming. And that still requires code in one or the other form. You may also deal with comlpetely different topics like psychology of which way user interface designs allow most intuitive usage, just to give an example of what might be more your cup of tea. But in that roles a typical job is not standalone, the only job description of someone bringing everything together in the web world would be a full stack developer, where "stack" is short for a programming stack of frontend/backend and further tiers that make up an application. In short also which combination of frameworks and tools to use and to manage them all. The advantage of VFP against this is that VFP is one tool usable for all aspects, managable. But taking a specific partial role in a VFP IDE the way that you want is a bit like wanting to be a chauffeur of a garage, it's not the type of position a garage hires for.

Chriss

Tore

I remember once when you insulted me sometime ago because you mentioned about users not showing a real name. I have to say that Mike's offer was quite valid but your response, "I don't need any third person's assistance" was quite rude in my opinion. The posts on threads within this VFP forum are most beneficial to those of us with less experience.

I didn't see your post that got deleted so I can't comment but what I will say is that basic manners cost nothing.

Mike: Thank you for your continued contributions.

Thank you

Steve Williams
VFP9, SP2, Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back