Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there anyone out there using Veritas to back up their Exchange??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDan74

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
We are running Exchange 5.5 on a 2000 platform and using Veritas 8.6 to back all the data up. After talking to tech support for Veritas I'm at a stopping point. Our server is about 9 gigs but after the tape back up is complete we only have about 600 megs of data. I see in the job file that priv.edb, etc. are being skipped. Tech support informed me that the remote agent running on the Exchange server will back the data up but if that server crashes then where do I stand?? Is there anyone out there that has insight on this issue??
Thanks

There are three files on Exchange 5.5 that can not be backed up while the exchange services are running these are the priv.edb, dir.edb, pub.edb. You can only backup these files by stopping the exchange services. Once you have done a full off line backup, you should then be able to just backup the exchange data stores useing Backup Exec, which is what I am presently doing. I found out the hard way how important these three files are when you try to restore your exchange server when these files are gone or corrupt. I hope this helps.

You can backup those files while the services are running. The only advantage to stopping the services and performing an offline backup is that all transactions are written to the server, so you have a "complete" backup that can be transferred to another "hot spare" box in case of emergency. Also, stopping the services allows you to do a plain old file copy if you want to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back