Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to Skip licencing on TS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamcha

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
MX
Hi i wanto to Know if exist any way to skip the registry for Terminal Server Services with any number of clients.

This is because a guy is offering a Windows 2003 Version with the Terminal Server without Licencing problem.

Is this possible?
Or it is a trick of him.

I think he is a Lier.
Thank you.

If you are planning to use the terminal server for clients to connect to then you need to have licenses available or it will quit working after the 120 day trial. As long as you are only using the terminal server for administrators to connect to and do remote administration then you won't need licenses.

Ed

ed, what differences are there between coming in as an administrator (to do remote administration) or as a client? am i able to simply allow my clients (remote offices really) come in as administrators to avoid licensing?

mike

Remote desktop (formally called TS in administration mode) only allows 2 simultaneous connections. Also, applications are not installed in multi-user mode. So RDP is not practical for having multiple users connecting and running apps.

if you have xp pro or win2k pro desktops then use a second server with win2000 server on it as the TS server then you dont need to license ,as xp pro and 2k pro come with a TS client for win2000 server.

You still need to install and activate a (2000 or 2003) TS licensing server. Activating the TSLS doesn't cost anything.

You need the TSLS because no Windows clients actually COME with a TS license. The license servers just contain an unlimited pool that is available for 2000/XP clients to pull from when connecting to a 2000 TS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back