Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to compare between 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend8

MIS
Jan 30, 2001
CA
Is there any way to compare between universes? I am working in offline mode and using a universe stored locally on my computer and I made some changes to it.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

legend8,
Do I understand you correctly that you wish to compare 2 different versions of the same universe to see what your changes are?

B

Unfortunately at this time I am not aware of any features that would make this possible. The only comparisons that I know you can do is to compare data between two versions of the same universe, but not the differences in the universe itself.

B

legend8,

I initially created Audit Reports for Universe Objects, Class and Help Defintion changes via an Access Database.

Some research may be needed to identify the specific tables. This info can be found by studying the schema model provided on your CD under Freeware/repostry.htm.

Step 1

Would be to create local tables of your supporting BO repository (before changes are made) then link the actual tables stored in your database. This is a tedious process as the local tables would have to be emptied and refreshed for future changes.

Step 2

Create queries to compare the two sets to determine the differences. Use the report results to create Access Reports.

We have since moved to a separate server so that tables on one server are compared to the tables on the Production server. This eliminated the need to refresh tables.
I also used the move to transition the Access Reports in BO.
The reports were built using the DPVBA cube function available in the SDK.

Hope this helps.

There is a Business Objects universe included on the installation CD that details an Oracle based Business Objects repository database. If your repository is in Oracle it might be all that you need. Even if your repository is in a different database, i.e. Sybase, it gives a good head start on the repository database structure. The file name is managero.unv.

There is no script available yet which can make use of the printed format for the printing options for each universe (Tools > Options -> Print Tab, Parameters and List components), but ideally we should be able to make use of the info given in a manual called "Putting part of development suit to work, 5.1" page 63 (I don't have further info about SDK manuals) and create a script that can compare the output. There is an example as to how to turn the description of a universe to HTML format. It would be interesting to apply that to two different versions of a universe and to implement a cycle to figure out the differences.

Maybe you could, instead of outputting the universe in html, create a set of xml tags for the metadata and find a way to output in this format :)

busobj will <surely> have xml support in v3/6...

With regards to XML support for next major versions of BO products, there is nothing definate indicated, however they are looking at support with respect to :

- XML as a data source
- Supporting an XML query language (XQL, XML-QL, XQuery)
- Generating XML from their SDK
- Using XML internally within products to communicate between different modules
- Using XML to facilitate metadata exchange (e.g. between universes and datawarehouse managers)

Hope this helps
Maiden

There is a product 'QM' on the market who can compare universe changes, etc.
It is in fact full grown version control and quality management software for UNV's and reports.
visit and ask for info
(I have no relation to this company. Just found out it might be a great product)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back