Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any tools to do a performance test on AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai086

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2007
CN
It's IBM ESS storage.
And I doubt that the performance is getting slow...

I do a test about the using time on copy data (about 100G) to internal Hdisk and Storage.

Storage to Storage : 52 mins
Storage to Hdisk: 40 mins

The same data!!

Does anyone know about the ESS storage? It should be faster than Hdisk, right? how much % would be faster?

Thank you!

--
Best Regards!
Hello, I am Nikolai NG, come from Carton, China. I love here.

euhm, same data , you will get non-representative results, because a part of the data will already be in cache.
if you are using a single thread with the copy, my guess is that hdisk will be faster.With ESS you have a Fiberchannel overhead.In multithread,the ESS wil be much more performant,as a head of a single disk can only be at 1 place at a time,while with a disk array you benefit of lots more spindles,thus more available heads to do simultanous writes.
You should use sth like IOmeter so you can use multiple threads.

rgds,

R.

Also, in ESS you have limited write cache (non-volatile storage), so that will be a speed-limiting factor in your test.

In real-life applications, you benefit from lots of spindles and large read cache in the ESS (much larger than write cache) with 80/20 or even better read/write ratio.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back