Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any speed boost from v.90 to v.92?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecut

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I have a zoom 56k pci v.90 modem on win 98.
I've seem some v.92 modem advertised as giving a 30% boost in speed over a v.90. Is this hype or is there some truth to this?
Thanx
Stonecut
\!/
(@ @)
------o00-(_)-00o---------
"We can do anything if we can work together!"

It's part hype and part truth.
Start here:
There's absolutely NO point in getting a V.92 modem unless your ISP supports it, and I don't know ANY that do.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

you knwo what the funny thing is about all the v.92 crap? ok, that listed all the v.92 ISP's right? well, there is alot of different devices being sold like at radio shack and the such that is banking off the v.92 standard. you know, the connection on hold feature and the quick connection speed crap. well that list of v.92 servers list HOW MANY ISP'S??? there are people buying that crap up not ever knowing that they need a v.92 modem AND ISP. and there is obviously not many of them out there at all. it kinda ticks me off. not that i have to worry about dailing out anymore but i have to listen to them call in and get mad at my company for not supporting it.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

if no one buys a v.92 modem because no ISP supports it yet, why would any ISP support it, no one has one?

it's the chicken and the egg problem

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

yeah, i guess you're right. which one am i? egg or chicken i know i won't be upgrading to v.92 for lack of need to. they did the best they could to improve connection speeds when broadband came out. ;-) now that i have wifi, upgrading dail-up just won't be happening.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

in theory, there is a speed up downloading uncompressed files in v.44. (the compression part of v.92)

The older v.42 only did 4 to 1 compression, so it took a 230k serial port to keep a 56k modem full.

v.44 allows 8 to 1 compression of uncompressed files, but only if your serial port is running at 460k or higher, which may mean USB or an internal but sure isn't RS232!

mind you many files are already compressed (.zip, .jpg, .mp3) so it does not help there

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back