Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

???Is there any good software for remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
Can anybody tell me if there is any software - freeware to download for working from home.
I have Windows 2000 at work and XP Home edition at home.

And also If somebody can tell me how to connect step-by step instruction ...I checked out on the net there are so many that I got confused which one is good for me.

Thanks

This method will only work if your work computer has a public IP address, otherwise you might have to ask your network admin to set you up for remote access (VPN).

On your Win2k cpu at work, set up Netmeeting by going to:

C:\Program Files\Netmeeting\conf.exe.

Then open Netmeeting and go to Tools > Remote Desktop Sharing and go through the wizard. When you're done with the wizard, go to [Tools > Options > Security] and check the two security checkboxes for incoming and outgoing calls. Then click OK to get out of that and click the Call menu and select "Exit and activate remote desktop sharing."

Next, go to whatip.com or ipchicken.com and write your IP address down. At home, open Netmeeting and type in your IP address you got from work. If it says the remote computer was unable to accept the call, make sure you have the two security checkboxes checked in [Tools > Options > Security] on your XP home computer too.

Normally, most company firewalls prohibit port access unless preconfigured in the firewall (port forwarding).

Hope that helps.

Dan Borchert
Network Administrator
San Diego's House of Motorcycles

Thanks G0ldeneye...so that means I cant set up my computer with anyother software than Netmeeting.
Like I mentioned I was searching on the net...I was reading about 1 specific freeware RealVNC ??Do you know anything about RealVNC.
I was reading the docs on the net...it said "I have to install Server side at work and Viewer at home Computer. But rest of it what do I have to do with my router at work...I dont know
Can you guide me about RealVNC ....if you know anything
Thanks

No, you can set your computer up with any remote program you wish, I just recommended Netmeeting because its easy to configure.

I asked the same question about remote access a while back on Tek-tips and someone told me about RealVNC. I was confused setting it up because I was new to the remote access stuff, but then I found out about port forwarding and such, and then just used Netmeeting. Now I use XP Pro's remote desktop feature (don't know if XP Home has it or not), which is much better than Netmeeting. I never bothered with RealVNC so I don't know much about it. I got it to work, but the video was crap... worse than netmeeting.

Do you have access to router configurations at work?

Dan Borchert
Network Administrator

Thanks again G0ldeneye...Yes I do have access to Router and the Windows 2000 Server too.
And XP Home Edition also has it ...and tried it too...but didnot work(I tried it with my friend at the other side with same XP Home Edition...then I just left it)
Now I want to access my Win2k at work from XP Home Edition. I did install it but I guess I was missing the info for Router Config.
I would appreciate it if you can guide me on what am I supposed to do after I install Server / Viewer respectively at Work / Home computer. Basically Router Configration ...I guess
Thanks

Unfortunately, win2k doesn't have the remote desktop hosting service, BUT you can download a remote desktop client to connect to any cpu hosting the remote desktop service.

To access your home pc from work with the remote desktop client, you'll have to enable outgoing traffic on port 3389 on your firewall. On your home PC, if you have any type of firewall set up, you'll have to enable incoming traffic on port 3389 too.

To access your work pc from home using Netmeeting, you'll have to enable incoming traffic on port 1720 on your firewall at work.

I guess before I go any further, I should ask you if you're using Win2k Server as your gateway, or do you have a dedicated piece of hardware acting as a router/gateway.

Dan Borchert
Network Administrator

Sounds to me like VNC is your best bet. Have you read ??

You will need to forward port 5900 for VNC, but other than that the process is much the same as it would be for remote desktop or netmeeting.

I prefer a version of VNC called tightVNC, see . The FAQ in the earlier link applies, as does
Always run the VNC server as a service, not an application. Works much better. The hows are well documented in the links above.

Remote access without security features (such as encription or VPN)in place can become a dangerous undertaking since the content of the transmissions remain 'visible' for interception.

This is an obvious case where 'free' has obvious tradeoffs and/or potential downsides since neither VNC nor NetMeeting are 'secure'. What are you prepared to allow others to potentially intercept and see? Should you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back