Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any employer still hiring level perl programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
It seems to me that it is very hard to find an entry level perl programmer position in silicon valley. I have less than one year experience in developing unix utilities with perl 5. I am also learning cgi right now. Is cgi out now?

Although I've been out of the web scene for a little while, it seems to me that Perl is being edged out a bit by PHP these days. That's not to say that Perl isn't tremendously useful or that it's obsolete; it's just that I don't think you're likely to find jobs that are purely Perl. (Anybody should feel free to correct me if I'm off target here; I've shifted more towards networking and hardware support, so I don't have a really good sense of the job market for programmers.)

Just my two cents; as always, YMMV.

Don

I know IBM is trying to shift the AS400 to JSP and servlets. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

I think it's the economy. There are too many qualified programmers with years of experience under their belts, and they're looking for work.

You have to be fulid at this point. Find any entry level job you can get. Find out what they're programming in and learn it. Offer to help with any of the projects in addition to what you already do.

I would think that as a newbee on the field .net is more likley to be ahead of the game, new faces have to come with new technologies and then learn the old stuff as the job requires. AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Try Nowdocs.com. LoaferMan - There is no practice life. This is it. (Billy Crockett)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back