Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any clue about /usr/preser 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vti

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
TR
Is there any clue about /usr/preserve directory .?It has files like Exaaa11658 but i don't know what those files for created .?Can i delete some of them which created long time ago.?

Thanks for any help.

aren't these the files created when vi stops unexpectedly? You can start vi up with a command line option to get to your last edit when you restart vi after a crash. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Yes, that's what they are.

If someone is editing a file with 'vi' and they get disconnected for some reason a file is created in /usr/preserve that allows them to start again where they left off next time they log on. In my experience almost nobody ever does.

If the files are more than one day old then they can almost certainly be removed. I clean ours out every week.

Yes these are files saved when vi (or ex) terminates unexpectedly. You can list the files created (by the user you are logged in as) by entering:

vi -r

or recover a particular file by entering:

vi -r filename

Cakiwi

Thanks for all helps

Regards.

hey

u will also have some swp ( swap files) created which will be used for the recovery of the file

as CaKiwi said u can recover the file lost by

vi -r filename

here -r stands for recovery .

hope it was useful

regards
ramki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back