Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there another way instead of moving files holding shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I have a few partitions on my drive, Im about to do a big cleanup and want to move some files to different partitions, right now my only option is to hold down the shift key as I move them to aviod only making a copy, or to use the move icon in the explorer toolbar which is inconvenient as I am moving things to all different folders. Is there a way to get xp to always move folders and not just copy them, without having to hold down shift each time?

right-click the selection and choose cut

then

right-click the destination and choose paste

cdogg,

You are missing the real beauty of the "Move to" right click context command you can easily add to XP.

Add as I suggested above, and try it.

Recommended.

Bill

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was actually hopeing that there might have been a way to alter the registry or something so files are auto moved when I drag them onto another partition instead of just copied. I tried the script, its works great.

I do not know of a way to change the default behavior of a copy when the file is dragged to a different drive letter.

I am glad the "Move to" feature works for you. Although it is kind of strange to see your files just "disappear" from the original folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back