Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an init string to connecto ISP quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is there an init string for my modem to help me connect to my ISP quicker? When I open my ISP connection it takes a while to communicte with the remote computer and it usually takes several tries to connect (up to 4-5 tries) before it finally logs on to my ISP. This is very irritating to say the least. Any help appreciated.

Double Click "My Computer". double click "Dialup Networking". Right click on your dialer and go to properties. In the middle of the page uncheck use area code and dialing properties. Add 2 commas at the end of the telephone number you are dialing. Go under the server types tab and make sure only "enable software compression" and "tcp/ip" are checked. click tcp/ip settings over to the rigth. You should have the dot in "server assigned ip address" and a dot in "server assinged name server addresses" unless you are having problems pulling pages then you should put in the dns's here. down at the bottom both of the boxes should be checked. click ok. go back to the general tab. down at the bottom it tells you what type of modem you have. write that down for future reference. click configure. set your max speed down to 57600 and then click connection up at the top. click port settings in the lower left and slide these all the way down to 1. then click ok and then click advanced in the lower right. down at the bottom in "extra settings" type in at&f and then click ok out of all the screens. then close out of dialup networking and go into my computer and then into control panel. then go into the network control panel. the only 2 things you need in here to connect to your dialup isp are "dialup adapter" and "tcp/ip". make sure these are the only two things you have in here unless you have ethernet adapters installed etc. then go into the tcp/ip properties and make sure there are no dns's specified, no gateways, make sure Wins resolution is disabled and its set to obtain an ip automatically. after all this is done click ok and click ok out of the next one. this should then most likely prompt you to restart your computer or it may ask you for your win98 cd. do what it asks and then after restart try to connect to your isp. you should get on on the first try unless you have shitty phone lines/modem/modem driver. if all that doesnt work then you can go to and lookup your specific modem and enter some of those ini strings back in the "extra settings" box where we origonally typed in at&f. if that doesnt work go to and update your modem driver. if that doesnt work call your telephone company and have them check out the lines. note: if you have an hsp modem or a winmodem you may want to think about getting a hardware modem such as a Boca Research Tidalwave or a 3com modem besides their winmodem. any further questions please send to the email address down below. hopefully this helped.

thx
ladin [sig]<p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back