Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a win 2K alternative to XP's prnport.vbs? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanwho

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
GB
I need to install 6 HP4650 printers onto 50 or so PC's over a network the Printers and PC's have assigned IP addresses and we do not have or want a print server. All we want to do is install the printers to each machine from the command lineusing the following command however to do this I need to have created the Stnadrad TCP/IP Port first PRNPPORT.VBS apparently will do this for me however we are running on 2000 pro and it is only available on XP:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "NORTH-US-SRTEST-TEST24-BOGUS" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r "IP_157.57.50.98" /m "HP Laserjet 4650 Series PCL" /Z

all help appreciated

many thanks

Sean

If your running a network, why not simply assign the printers during the logon script?, or conversely, assign them directly through the registry on each wrkstn?

Walter thanks for the suggestion but I want to do an unattended install so need to be able to create a standard TCP/IP port on each new pc and then use a command line to install the drivers from a centralised location.

Are you building the image using sysprep, if so, you should be able to install the printers and drivers on the build wrkstn and then run sysprep, which should then have the relevant port & printer assignments and drivers installed on the build image.

I built 200 plus wrkstns for rollout at 10 locations in Europe this way and it worked fine.

Haven't used Sysprep as some of the software installed is reliant on the SID and as far as I am aware if this is the case I am unable to use it for the image. HAve now installed the printers manually but am still looking for a way top perform the task. Thanks for your input

Could the software not be installed after the image build using a installation wizard INI modification, via a runonce setup? This would allow you to use SYSPREP.

I am also looking for a solution to add a TCP/IP printer port with a script, a-la PRNPORT.VBS for Windows 2000. Seanwho, have you found an answer to this?

Thanks!

Jeff Lamb

Jeff,

I had a limited window to get the printers configures and ended up doing them manually. I still have the task set to find the solution for 'next time' when i get it sorted will let you know.
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back