Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to......

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2000
US
Is there a way to recreate the data in a capture into it's original format? For example: You are monitoring e-mail traffic, suspecting that company secrets are being leaked by e-mail. How could you recreate an e-mail and any attachments from a capture? Are there utilities that can rebuild the captured packets?
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

If you use Ethereal (free) and open the Sniffer TRace, you can select 'follow TCP Stream'.

Not pretty but may help out. 'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

I'll check it out. Thanks
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

You might want to look at App Dancer Really cool presentation of showing you the exact email, webpage, streaming video or audio.

It can read trace files or capture itself.

There's a free download on their site with a time limited version, but fully functional.

Regards 'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Appdancer looks very cool... yet another toy to play with in my spare time ;-)

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Try the AppDancer/FA
It shows the e-mail and other important applications on the fly.
It is able to monitor as well as capture data.
You can alos replay captured Sniffer files and see tha e-mail content in e-mail format.
And much more.
Try downloading at AppDancer.com, then replay your Sniffer files -.cap, .enc...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back