Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to use MSN Messenger through Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu01

MIS
Apr 3, 2002
US
It seems my compnay is going to stop all messenger programs, I was wondering if there is an internal MSN messenger that runs via Exchange 2k3?

If your company wants to stop all messenger services, then you should comply to that policy!
We are not very keen on helping someone to 'cheat' their company policies.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Have a look at the shop @ !

It's not a cheat, we in the IT Dept, would still like to communicate over the WAN if possible.

Well there was in Exchange 2000, which they took away in 2003, which made my users pretty angry.

I would just like a nice simple one also, that just stay internal and not go out on the internet.

Live Communications Server... with (surprise!) it's own licensing structure for both software and CALs

That's the new "replacement" for the IM functionality of Exchange 2000.

I agree with Marc though. If your company policy states no IM, then you (even in IT) need to comply.

>then you (even in IT) need to comply

Or at least make a proper case to seek official exemption

If I've been asked by my supervisor to find an altenative to IM that will stay on LAN/WAN, then Jeez let it go. I asked for technical help, not how you feel about the subject!

Live Communications Server... with (surprise!) it's own licensing structure for both software and CALs

If you had E2k and your CALs covered by software assurance, you have rights to LCS.

Q. Does my company qualify for Live Communication Server licenses as part of our Exchange Server SA or Enterprise Agreement (EA) purchase?

A. Yes. Microsoft Exchange Server customers with a valid EA/SA (valid up to October 1, 2003) coverage are eligible for one Live Communications Server Standard Edition server license for each Exchange Server license and one Live Communications Server CAL for each Exchange CAL covered under the agreement.

Note If your company's EA or SA coverage expired after October 1, 2003, and was renewed without attaching SA to Live Communications Server, you are not eligible to receive Live Communications Server 2005 and must purchase licenses separately. Please contact your Microsoft representative for more details about how to take advantage of this offer.

Maybe
I have no experience on making this work, but if you get it working, let me know how and what you did you get this going.
It looks cool (and free!).

At least you're not gonna need any CALs for this.

Regards

Phil B

one thing you could do is go make a group policy object for that particular OU and tell it to disable running the msn messenger program. i think the process name is called msnmsgr.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back